top of page

The Skinny On Cellulite

So you have aged a bit since those teenage years and as you glance in the mirror, you notice some cellulite in a new spot on your body! Oh no!!! The sky is fallling!!!! You think to yourself, "When did I gain all this weight? What is happening to my priorities? This is cray cray!" Wo! Slow down, let's really see what is happening here.

Did you know that over 98% of women have cellulite?98%! And yes that includes marathon runners and supermodels. The difference is, we see the photoshopped versions of them! And what about the other 2% of women? The scientists think they simply- and ironically- have thicker skin! Bwaahaaa. Fah reals! And yes... men... unless you have a hormonal problem you don't have to deal with this issue and I will explain in a second.

Ok, so here is what is happening underneath those appaling dimples and divits. Cellulite occurs when fat deposits push through the connective tissue in the subcutaneous skin layer. Women are predisposed because of the way that the connective tissue (which is stiff and fibrous) runs vertically, connecting the skin to the muscle (men on the other hand, have a sort of crisscross pattern that makes cellulite less likely). Genetics, hormones, and habits all play a role as well. And because of the "habits" side of things, we CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Here is a visual I found that is a pretty decent diagram of what is happening to cause cellulite:

How can I get rid of cellulite? You can get rid of or reduce cellulite by working out, eating right, and taking care of your body. It's important to realize though, that the appearance of cellulite doesn't mean that you are overweight, "flabby" or fat, or that you don't take care of your body. Because some of the factors are out of our control (genetics, for example), it's important to not be too hard on yourself when it comes to something as annoying but harmless as cellulite.

With that said, here's the skinny on how to get rid of cellulite (or at least make it less noticeable) - Strength train, not just for your "trouble zones" but for your entire body. - Do cardio; a balance of HIIT, endurance, and low impact cardio will improve circulation & overall health. - Eat clean; avoid processed foods, and build your diet around veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean proteins.

- Avoid acid producing foods, like soda, pop, and other high sugar foods. - Maintain a healthy bodyweight (the four points above can help you do that) - Drink lots of water and add lemon to increase alkalinity for balance in your system. - Don't smoke; not only is it nasty for your health, it takes a toll on these superficial things as well, causing the fibrogen to stiffen more. - Massage your body to help improve circulation, this helps those lymphatic tissues that can bulge out stay at a more manageable size.

*Self tanners and topical cremes may help with the appearance of smoother skin, but these items do not actually solve any "issues" you have with the cellulite.

Realize that it's a common issue that makes no difference in how healthy you are, brush it off! Easier said than done however, step back and realize that it should be viewed as normal, not a problem. In this day and age it is considered an unattractive trait, whereas in years past it was considered attractive. Cellulite is looked at as this dreadful skin imperfection that we're encouraged to feel ashamed about, when in reality, over 98% of women have cellulite somewhere on their bodies.

There are definitely things that you can do to help reduce or even get rid of cellulite, but if you're at a healthy bodyweight and you've mastered the habit of eating clean most of the time and exercising on a regular basis, don't fret over these small details and skin imperfections. Don't let the never-ending stream of Photoshopped images convince you that you're the only one that has cellulite; there's very high chance that the person in that "perfect", retouched image also has cellulite, no matter their weight or fitness level!

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Classic
  • Twitter Classic
  • Google Classic
bottom of page